Quick scan instrument
An instrument to characterize Christian education practices around the globe.
Content of the quick scan
The quick scan is an instrument for characterizing Christian education practices. This instrument provides a mapping of the main cultural and contextual aspects of a certain Christian education practice in a school, region or country. This analysis can be used for the determination of relevant interventions and support to strengthen this practice.
The quick scan is theoretically based on a heuristic framework (figure 1). In this framework are three overarching domains relevant in which 24 dimensions are identified: the teaching and learning processes in classrooms; the education administration including stakeholders and their motives, aims and ideals to maintain Christian education; and four kinds of societal factors (historical-cultural, religious, legal and political, socio-economic).
With the quick scan method it’s possible to get insight in all these dimensions, focusing on key aspects and focal persons.
The quick scan is an instrument that can be implemented by a researcher/consultation after preparation (more about the preparation, see below). A detailed guideline and a theoretical background article are available. For filling in the quick scan (in Excel) interviews, document study and observations have to be done.
The implementation of this quick scan provides a mapping of the main cultural and contextual aspects of a certain Christian education practice in a school, region or country. This analysis can be used for the determination of relevant interventions and support to strengthen this practice.
An exceldocument with features of the education context about all the mentioned dimensions. Which is based on observations, interviews and document research.
The quick scan is focusing on Christian education in a broad definition which includes both Christian teachers in Christian schools and non-Christian schools; formal Christian teaching and non-formal ways of teaching.
The quick scan can be implemented on different levels and scales, depending on the purpose. Before the start of the scan it is needed to define the exact target group. The scan can be used on the level of one educational practice or institution, a group of schools, or on the level of a region or country. When the scale is bigger, the description becomes more general and a representative sample of practices needs to be selected for the data collection.
Goals of the quickscan
The goal of the quick scan is
- to get insight in the characteristics of Christian education practices. This insight can be used for the development of interventions in these practices or for the design of intercultural gatherings where different education practices work or learn together.
- Meeting with colleagues of partners (Driestar University / Woord & Daad): how to use the quick scan, how to prepare the further activities (the meeting may take place by skype).
- Preparation phase: 1-2 days organizing logistics and appointments, search of documents (online)
- Implementation phase: 3 days interviews and reporting
- Follow-up phase: presentation of outcomes and discussion about follow-up
Profile of the person (researcher) implementing the quick scan:
- Analytic skills, at least on a Master’s level
- Experience in qualitative research
- Intercultural knowledge and skills
- Affinity with Christian education
- Good communication and writing skills
- It will be interesting for the partners Driestar Educatief en Woord&Daad to hear the experiences of using the quick scan. In that way, the researcher, is asked to share the outcomes of the quick scan.
- Based on the outcomes of the quick scan an advice or plan of action can be set up, in cooperation with the researcher and the target group.
The price of the products and services developed by INCE Office depend on the local context of the country.
Partners of the INCE network
Please, contact the project coordinator of your country for purchase options.
New customers can make a request for quotation directly.
INCE Office can offer this product to your (educational) organisation.
The scan was used by Parole & Action in Haiti. Jonel Jonathas shares his experiences below.
“The goal was to get information from the different actors involved in Christian education in Haiti: parents, teacher, representative training, church representative, children/students, board representative, and school representative. The quick scan was prepared to give a big picture of the situation.
Using the quick scan was first very challenging but progressively easy.”